Developed by John McTimoney over 30 years ago, the McTimoney method is recognised as being a gentle, precise, whole body approach to chiropractic care. McTimoney chiropractors strive for optimal health by treating the entire person and not just the area that hurts. It is taught at the McTimoney Colleges of Chiropractic in Abingdon and Manchester. Your McTimoney Chiropractor is trained to correct misalignments using quick, gentle and accurate adjustments that ensure you experience maximum comfort.
What Can I Expect From My First Session?
The gentle nature of the McTimoney method makes it suitable for people of all ages. It’s proven to be effective in treating the following conditions:
- Back, neck and shoulder pain
- Pain, discomfort and stiffness in joints
- Migraine and headache (if caused by spinal misalignment)
- Muscular aches
- Sports injuries
- Arthritic pain
What can I expect from my first session?
Your McTimoney chiropractor will first assess your general health, previous conditions, and existing symptoms.
They will then conduct a physical examination to locate the problem, during which time your chiropractor will make adjustments using the light, dextrous techniques associated with the McTimoney technique.
If at any point your chiropractor discovers or suspects a condition that requires medical intervention, they will refer you to your GP for further tests.
Normally your first visit can last anything between 30 minutes and an hour. During this time, the chiropractor will:
- Take a full case history, assessing your general health, previous conditions, and existing symptoms
- Ask your permission to conduct a thorough physical examinations (this will include neurological and orthopaedic tests, if necessary)
- Make adjustments using the light, dextrous techniques associated with the McTimoney technique
A chiropractor’s first concern is to find out what is wrong. They will also check for signs of any serious conditions for which you would need specialist advice.